Manzanar National Historic Site
The Manzanar Relocation Center was in the Owens Valley about 45 miles south of Bishop. Located for the most part on the west side of U.S. Highway 395, between the towns of Lone Pine and Independence. The central portion of the relocation center site is now a National Historic Site administered by the National Park Service. Outlying portions of the relocation center are on city of Los Angeles land administered by the Department of Water and Power and public land administered by the Bureau of Land Management.
The Manzanar Relocation Center, established as the Owens Valley Reception Center, was first run by the U.S. Army’s Wartime Civilian Control Administration (WCCA). It later became the first relocation center to be operated by the War Relocation Authority (WRA). The center was located at the former farm and orchard community of Manzanar. Founded in 1910, the town was abandoned when the city of Los Angeles purchased the land in the late 1920s for its water rights. The Los Angeles aqueduct, which carries Owens Valley water to Los Angeles, is a mile east of Manzanar.
10,000 Japanese Immigrants
More than 10,000 Japanese immigrants were interned at Manzanar during the 1940s after Japan bombed Pearl Harbor bringing America into World War II. Manzanar is now preserved as a National Historic Site.
Learn more about it at their official site: www.nps.gov/manz.